Sunday, January 29, 2012

Back to Service

Last Monday when we loaded up into the service van and headed down city ave I started getting nervous. It had been well over a month since the last time I saw my learner Sonia and I was scared she had forgotten everything we had done in the last semester. I didn't know what I would do if she didn't remember the order of operations since we spent almost every session on it. I didn't know what I would do if she hadn't been reading all break. Then I thought about the type of person Sonia is and I knew that she has a lot of determination. She is not going to give up until she gets her GED and I knew she had worked on all the homework I had given her.

We pulled up the the Center for Literacy, unpacked the car, and headed into the building. Sonia isn't one for being punctual, so I wasn't surprised that she wasn't there yet. She drives herself to service and the traffic is constantly different each week. Mark called us back into his office and reminded us of the rules and where everything was in the building. After, he told me Sonia had called and said she wouldn't be coming because she had car trouble. So he had me work with someone else for the night.

I met with my new learner for the night and she told me that she passed every part of the GED test except for the math. We started going over how to use the calculator since that was a major issue for her and then we went from there. We didn't stop for a break, she was constantly asking me to continue with what we were doing, and she caught on quickly. By the end of the night she was fried we actually had to stop a few minutes early because neither of us could do anymore math. I was sad at first when Mark told me Sonia couldn't make it, but by the end of the night I was happy because I got to help someone who was very close to accomplishing her goal.


I can't wait to work with Sonia tomorrow night and help her towards her GED. I am a little apprehensive about this semester, not because I don't think I am going to be able to help Sonia instead what will happen once we stop going? Is she not going to have a tutor anymore? I am scared that once we stop tutoring our learners with hit a road block in their goals for their futures. I guess I will have to wait and see what will happen, but until then I am going to be working my hardest to get Sonia one step closer to her GED.

No comments:

Post a Comment