Sunday, October 9, 2011

My First Day of Service

When we were driving in the van to service last Monday, I had a very sick feeling in my stomach. I was very nervous about meeting my learner and tutoring him or her. When we were walking in the feeling didn't go away. After sitting down and listening to Mark Edmunds talk to us the feeling started to go away, but it fully went away when I met my learner.
I sat down and we went over her goals. She was so sweet and so grateful that I was there to help her. She told me that she wants to learn how to read, learn, and do math better. We started out by going over the sight words and she did very well. Next I gave her a little spelling test on the words in the phonics workbook and she did very well on this as well. I was so nervous that I would get a learner who didn't know how to read at all and I would have to teach her the basics. I was thankful that she knew how read and write. We then went over her math skills and she knows how to do basic math like adding and subtracting. Then we moved onto multiplying and dividing and that got difficult because she didn't know how to do long division and I sorta forgot how to do it as well. So I got to brush up on my math skills as well as helping her.
When the night ended my learner asked me for a lot of homework. It was a little weird because I have always hated homework, but my learner really wanted some. So I gave her a lot of homework because we won't meet again until the 24th and I felt really bad, but she assured me it was fine. I am really glad that I got the opportunity to take this class because I got to meet my learner and I am really glad I get the opportunity to help her!

No comments:

Post a Comment